Latest Headlines

Offices of a Cyprus developer bombed for a second time

The offices of a Cyprus property developer have been targeted by bombers for the second time in less than five months.

LAST SATURDAY, an explosion occurred at the offices of Famagusta Developers in Protaras. This is the second time that the company has been targeted by bombers in less than five months.

On Monday, a 50-year-old man from Limassol was issued a five-day remand by the Famagusta District Court in connection with the explosion. His 25-year-old son was released due to lack of evidence.

The pair allegedly agreed to sell to the director of the company two flats in Larnaca for €220,000 and received a deposit of €30,000. The director then decided to annul the agreement and asked for the deposit back, the court heard. The court heard that the father and son had insisted on full payment.

Both father and son deny any involvement with the bombing.

In November last year, an explosion shattered the company’s front window and caused minor damage to the entrance of the building. The total cost of the damage was estimated to be in the region of €1,000.

Last August, the Cyprus police announced that the company was under investigation in connection with eight complaints filed against it since 2007 – seven in Famagusta and one in Larnaca. The cases mainly concerned alleged forgery, obtaining money and property under false pretences and usurping property belonging to another person.

In one of the cases investigated by police, the developer allegedly sold the same flat twice and when was asked to return the money to one of the buyers he issued him a dud cheque twice.

Readers' comments

Comments on this article are no longer being accepted.

  • AnnDee says:

    So the police DO investigate cases of selling the same property twice etc etc in Larnaca and Famagusta, yet in Paphos the police wash their hands and say it’s a civil case.

    Interesting to know if the complainants in this case were Cypriot or non-Cypriot.

    Or are the police in Paphos s*** scared of the Paphos developers and their crony lawyers?

  • out of the frying pan into the fire says:

    One law for them and one law for us.

    The police wont investigate any complaint by us. Instead they prosecute.

    Conor O’Dwyer is a prime example, of double standards. Good Luck Conor.

  • @Dave – thanks for the correction.

  • Mike says:

    If there are eight complaints filed then how many have not been filed but are waiting to sort out the problem themselves.
    This sort of thing does not seem to happen to honest & transparent people so I wonder if there is a conclusion we can draw from that.

    If the printed allegations are true then I am not surprised. What is surprising is that they still have a business and are still alive. I assume they are Cypriots & if so they will be aware of what they could expect if they have acted fraudulently. If the allegations are false then they hurriedly need to explain that in an unambiguous and transparent manner whilst at the same time providing substantiated evidence to prove their innocence. Otherwise…..

  • Dave says:

    It was their office in Kapparis not Protaras

  • xxxxxx says:

    How long will it be before there is a loss of life. It’s frightening

  • Robert Briggs says:

    Touch any property here? you must be joking!

  • The views expressed in readers' comments are not necessarily shared by the Cyprus Property News.

  • Text size

SELECTED REPORTS

Back to top