Cyprus' leading on-line resource for home buyers & real estate investors -

29th March 2024
Cyprus Property News logo
HomeNewsShed a tear for the whinging banks

Shed a tear for the whinging banks

whinging Cypriot banksCYPRIOT banks will have problem with their capital if parliament votes in favour of the bill to secure title deeds to the trapped property owners.

The bill gives discretionary powers to the Director of the Land Registry, under certain conditions, to discharge and/or eliminate and/or transfer and/or cancel the mortgage and/or encumbrance and/or prohibition that encumbers the property or part thereof, with the purpose of transferring the property in the name of the purchaser, provided that the purchase price has been fully paid, or the balance is deposited in a special temporary account.

Speaking before the joint session of the House Finance and Interior Committees, the representative of the banks’ association Demetra Valianti Plati expressed reservations about the bill, noting that many trapped owners will not secure a title deed.

She said the banks cannot be responsible for the fact that when some land developers, rather than using the money to repay their loan, they used it for another purpose.

She noted that land developers should have informed banks on the sales made, stressing that the banks cannot undertake a 100% share of the law enforcement.

The representative of the banks also expressed reservations for the transfer of the mortgage of land developers to other properties or their guarantors, noting that “if they do not own property we will be left exposed” and wondered how the Land Registry will decide if the collateral is of the same value.

She stressed that it is difficult to find a property that gives the same coverage and banks will remain exposed.

A representative of the Central Bank noted that banks were asked to analyse the impacts from the implementation of the bill, stressing that the banks did not send the relevant data.

Interior Minister Socrates Hasikos said that banks are not convincing and “it is not enough to have knowledge, they should have known where the money went. They did not do that”.

He stressed that the bank ought to monitor every sale made by the land developers.

The representative of the bank, in response to Mr. Hasikos’ argument, said that the only way the bank could know about the sales was to be outside of the office of the land developers.

The Finance Ministry representative said that a new bill will be filed in October according to which sales will not be permitted if the buyer is not guaranteed.

RELATED ARTICLES

41 COMMENTS

  1. @Nigel further to your response would not worry about Greece living the EU which will only short term impact on the markets. With 60 billion Euro in QE being pumped in to the markets there is plenty of liquidity to support Europe to recover. The drop in Euro currency not any issue it is a positive as will boast exports in currency terms.

    The forecast is for the Euro to weaken in value to 90 Cents to 1- USD which is good news for some. Another point to consider is that China, Japan hold most of the Euro debt so not too much to be concerned about.

  2. @Houlou & Nigel thanks for the sharing but to be honest should not come as any surprise as poor practices, and lack of integrity is pretty much the norm.

    Nigel please can you kindly advise if you have heard any negative correspondence in respect to Paschali Developers in Protaras area with non issue of deeds, hidden mortgages, non payment of taxes on green areas?

    • @Who Gives on 2015/07/07 at 1:38 pm – I treat all emails in strictest confidence. What I suggest you go is Google the company name – in one of the articles you will find the name of their lawyer – Google that name as well.

      If you want to find out if your development has hidden mortgages, etc. you will need to ask the Land Registry to carry out a Title search.

  3. @who gives and Nigel, below is a reply from Mr. Kasoulides when he was a Euro MP for Cyprus, regarding the question of trapped buyers, his answer basically says the directive had to be approved by Cyprus MPs and he would get back to….he hasn’t 4 years on.

    RE: ιδιοκτήτες ακινήτων των οποίων οι τίτλοι τους έμεναν εγκλωβισμένοι σε υποθήκες
    Kasoulides Bureau
    2/1/2011
    [Flag this message]
    To: ‘me’

    Αγαπητέ κ. ,

    Ευχαριστώ πολύ για το μήνυμα σας. Για να απαντήσω στην πρώτη ερώτηση για το Directive 2005/29/EC παραβάλλοντας με νομοθεσία η οποία αναμένεται να εγκριθεί από τη Βουλή των αντιπροσώπων θα χρειαστεί κάποιο χρόνο και όταν πάρω απάντηση θα επανέλθω προς εσάς.

    Όσο αναφορά το θέμα που εγείρεται αναφορικά με το προτεινόμενο νομοσχέδιο καταλληλότερος για να σας διαφωτίσει είναι ο κ. Ιωνάς Νικολάου που πολύ ορθά απευθυνθήκατε. Εγώ δεν κατέχω το θέμα ούτε γνωρίζω νομικές πτυχές. Αντιλαμβάνομαι ότι αφορά υποθέσεις του παρελθόντος όπου ο ιδιοκτήτης αδυνατεί να αποκτήσει το τίτλο του ενώ δύναται αν θέλει να τον αποκτήσει αφού πληρώσει το ποσοστό που αναλογεί του χρέους των developer. Διότι πολλοί developer δεν μπορούν να πληρώσουν τα χρέη τους και οι ιδιοκτήτες δεν μπορούν να πάρουν τους τίτλους τους.

    Με τιμή,

    Ιωάννης Κασουλίδης