Latest Headlines

Better year for property sales

Following the 20 per cent increase in sales in 2014, Cyprus property sales rose by 9 per cent in 2015 according to the latest official statistics published by the Department of Lands and Surveys.

Better year for Cyprus property salesPROPERTY sale transactions in 2015 recorded only their second year-on-year increase since 2010, growing by 9 per cent to reach 4,952 compared with 4,527 in 2014, according to official statistics published earlier today by the Department of Lands and Surveys,

This follows a 20 per cent increase in 2014 compared to 2013.

Of those 4,952 sale transactions (which include residential properties, commercial properties and land) 3,603 (73%) were made on behalf of Cypriot purchasers while the remaining 1,349 (27%) were on behalf of overseas buyers.

Sale transactions in Larnaca rose by 35 percent, while those in Limassol rose by 11 percent. Transactions in Paphos and Nicosia rose marginally by 0.2 per cent and 0.1 per cent respectively, while transactions in Famagusta fell by 2 per cent. (As noted by Resolute Asset Management in its annual report, Cyprus Economy & Real Estate Market, Famagusta is heavily reliant on local demand for holiday homes.)

property_sales_2000_2015_final
Frenzied buying, mainly by UK nationals looking for a holiday home in the sun, together with nefarious business practices and reckless lending by the banks pushed up prices creating a bubble, which eventually burst in at the end of 2007. Cypriots found themselves priced out of the market as land prices rose faster than their salaries; property sales to the Cypriot market reached their zenith in 2003.

property_sales_graph

The exposure of Cypriot banks to overleveraged property companies together with a number of other ‘idiosyncrasies’ reported by PIMCO in its independent due diligence report of the island’s banking system, resulted in the collapse of the economy, the effects of which are still being felt today.

Whether Cyprus has learnt from its mistakes of the past only time will tell. But it appears that after two consecutive years of rising sales, the island’s property market has finally started on the long road to recovery.

Readers' comments

Comments on this article are no longer being accepted.

  • Mike says:

    Good news indeed but such a shame that the quality is not rising at a similar rate. I had a property constructed recently and awoke yesterday morning to find the only room (storage) I did not personally supervise flooded. It seems cutting corners, inferior fittings,bad jointing filled with silicone and not bothering to fit what manufacturers deem necessary but builders cannot see the point of are still the mainstay of further profits. Such a shame as with a little effort we could have a thriving sustainable industry.

  • The views expressed in readers' comments are not necessarily shared by the Cyprus Property News.

  • Text size

Back to top