The leading on-line resource for home buyers & real estate investors -

1st July 2022
Cyprus Property News logo
HomeProperty ArticlesUK Nationals: the UK has left the EU building!

UK Nationals: the UK has left the EU building!

As you are all aware, the UK has left the EU and is now in a transition period. To that end, the UK government is working with organisations to help and assist UK Nationals living in EU countries who need residency advice and support.

One of those organisations is the Cyprus Residency Planning Group (CRPG) whose remit is to help UK Nationals who may find it hard to complete all the paperwork, particularly pensioners and disabled; those living in remote areas or with mobility difficulties and those needing assistance with language translation or interpretation and who, for whatever reason, cannot respond and help themselves.

In other words, people deemed at risk.

CRPG officially opened for business in April 2020, when the Help Desk sprang into action and began the process of taking calls from people seeking advice on whether to apply for an MEU1 or an MEU3 – and what the difference is.

There still seems to be some misinformation and confusion out there.

So, in a nutshell – if you have lived in Cyprus for more than 90 days BUT less than 5 years, you need to apply for an MEU1 and if you have lived in Cyprus for 5 years or more, you need to apply for an MEU3.

All old-style residency documents such as the blue form, pink slip, alien registration book or a stamp in your passport are no longer valid and must be replaced.

Please visit the CRPG website for more information and for those of you who are considering residency and who might be new to Cyprus please also look at the GOV. UK information site Living in Cyprus Guide

If you would like to chat about your own situation – or you know of someone who needs our help – please contact the Help Desk on 99826087 or email

We look forward to hearing from you.

PS: We are also looking for more volunteers to work as Case Workers, to help us manage individual cases. Volunteers are trained in Safe Guarding, Data Protection and will also be required to apply for CRO clearance. There is remuneration for mileage and an hourly rate – plus Case Workers are provided with a CRPG branded brief case and business card. It’s a great way to help your local community.

(Public Service Announcement)



  1. I have lived and worked in Cyprus since 2007, when at that time I was issued the little brown book, only last year 2019 did I get the MEU1, does that mean I have to change it to MEU3, or do I continue for another 4 years on MEU1 ?

  2. I have a holiday property I purchased about 10 years ago on an Aristo estate. We stay there usually for the school summer holidays (6 weeks) and I visit the property to check on any winter damage for 1-4 weeks in February.

    Does this count as “living in Cyprus” and do I need to apply for a form ? I currently have nothing in place as I have no plans to permanently live in Cyprus.

    • No Paul – you do not have to apply for residency.

      But we don’t (yet) know how things will change after BREXIT. You may need a visa if you’re planning to stay in Cyprus for an extended period of time.

Comments are closed.

Top Stories

Sign up to receive our free newsletter

We handle your data responsibly, find more about our privacy policy

Elsewhere in Cyprus Property News

EUR - Euro Member Countries